EXTENDED DEADLINE: 8th June, 2023
The Atlantic International Research Centre (AIR Centre) in collaboration with the European Polar Board (EPB) and the Portuguese Polar Program (PROPOLAR) opens an International Call for 5 (five) PhD grants from a set of six available themes within the topic “Preservation and restoration of Polar marine and coastal ecosystems and biodiversity” complying with the provisions of the FCT Regulation for Research Studentships and Fellowships (RBI) and the Research Fellowship Holder Statute (EBI):
1. Long-term assessment of the role of cephalopods in the diet of wandering albatrosses in the
Southern Ocean: implications in Antarctic conservation policies
2. Spatial ecology of juvenile and immature black-browed albatrosses, with relevance for marine
spatial planning and for the potential spread of pathogens
3. Comparative evolutionary ecotoxicological adaptations to anthropogenic disturbance in sea
anemones from the Antarctica and the deep sea
4. Marine Spatial Planning in the Antarctic Region
5. NitrOnICE - Decipher Climate Change Impacts on the Arctic Ocean Nitrogen Microbiome
6. Atmospheric rivers role in extreme temperatures and precipitation and potential effect on microbial
biodiversity on the Antarctic Peninsula.
The grants will be financed by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) under the Collaboration Protocol signed between the FCT and the AIR Centre.
The call is open from April 10 to May 31 2023 (23:59 Lisbon Time)
Applications, and all the supporting documents described in the RBI and in this Notice of the Call, must be submitted online using the appropriate application form available at https://www.aircentre.org/Scholarship/ Applications submitted by other means will not be accepted.
All the application procedures, including submission, evaluation, results communication, preliminary hearings, are performed online.
Each applicant may apply to up to three themes, ranking the order of preference. For a given theme, the candidate may submit only one application under penalty of cancellation of all submitted applications.
Providing false declarations or committing acts of plagiarism by applicants leads to the exclusion of the application without prejudice of taking other corrective and punitive disciplinary measures.
For more details about applicant admissibility requirements or applications evaluation process of the Scholarships visit https://www.aircentre.org/Scholarship/